Councilmember Kalb has spent much of his career leading advocacy campaigns to promote clean energy solutions, fight for environmental health and climate justice, and protect parks and open spaces. By growing Oakland’s green economy, we can create more good, green jobs for Oakland residents while protecting our environment for generations to come.
Dan has been a leader in implementing our city's landmark Energy and Climate Action Plan (ECAP), and continues to make growing our clean tech sector a high priority for Oakland.
- Took the lead role on and authored the successful ordinance to ban Coal in Oakland.
- Authored the successful resolution to divest city holdings from fossil fuel investments.
- Represents Oakland on the County Community Choice Energy steering committee.
- President, StopWaste (Alameda County's Recycling and Waste Authority).
- Promoted street enhancements to increase safety for pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Is prioritizing traffic calming, improved bike lanes, and safer routes to schools.
Dan Kalb worked for the Union of Concerned Scientists for nine years prior to serving in elective office. He has become a leader on the City Council on environmental justice and health issues, and clean energy solutions.
"Dan Kalb has been a true champion for environmental health and justice on the Oakland City Council. He led the fight to ban coal in Oakland, and continues to enact policies that promote environmental stewardship and good green jobs for Oakland residents. Sierra Club is thrilled to have leaders like Dan Kalb representing our communities." -Michael Brune, Sierra Club executive director