Housing Affordability continues to be a top issue priority for Councilmember Kalb and our entire city.
Soaring housing prices and rents are displacing long-time residents, changing the character of our communities, and making it harder for people who work here to live here. Councilmember Kalb has been a leader in devising policy and funding solutions that increase support for affordable housing, protect our most vulnerable tenants, and build upon the integrity and cohesion of our neighborhoods.
- Sponsored the law to ensure at least 25% of our former redevelopment funds go toward affordable housing.
- Authored Oakland’s 2014 Tenant Protection Ordinance!
- Co-authored recent reforms to protect renters from unfair rent increases. Supports Measure JJ on the 2016 ballot.
- Continues to support every viable effort to secure funding for additional low and moderate income housing.
- Is finishing up drafting vitally important legislation to make sure all our multi-family buildings are seismically safe to prevent the collapse of older buildings and reduce the potential for massive displacement.